Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sabado Siestas

Saturday February 5th, 2011

Today I think I officially fell in love with Paraguay. It rained again, which does two things-makes the weather much cooler AND puts me in the best mood imaginable. It´s a lot easier to take in the simple beauty of the country when it´s  not sweltering hot! I started off the morning walking to the local school with a fellow volunteer. Side note- I finally found my adapter and plan to use my alarm clock because my host mom wakes me up...which is very nice but she always insists I eat something whether I´m late or not...which usually I am lol. I do enjoy the tea she makes for me in the mornings though, I must admit it´s worth the tardiness and it sort of preps my stomach for the future food encounters of the day. Anyways, upon arrival at school I noticed the general surroundings to be very interesting. We literally have classes with cows, chickens, roosters, horses, ducks and dogs roaming around us on a farm next door. It´s so noisy yet somehow peaceful at the same time. The people here are sooo friendly. And I believe my host family genuinely cares about me. My host brother called several times to ask his mom how I was doing the days I got sick- and my host mom nearly pitched a fit when I returned home from school calling her ´´Señora´´. She informed me that this was my home too, and I shouldn´t call her that. After her lecture, we had lunch together....a dumpling soup called ´´vorivori´´´ which wasn´t too bad and we discussed what I learned in school earlier. Next she explained to me about ´´siestas´´ which are naps taken in the middle of the day for no reason really lol....but who needs an excuse to sleep uhhhh not this girl! lol I was told that locals get one daily, but teachers in the city really only get them on the weekends. It may be different in the country though...I may or may not find that out later. After showering off the red mud from walking to school that morning, I layed down, opened my window once more, and let the soothing wind drift away with my worries.... I think I´m going to like Sabado Siestas!























1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of when I was in Swaziland and there were stray animals all over the place! Going to the supermarket one afternoon was hard because a cow blocked the entrance! haha and there were stray dogs EVERYWHERE. You don't really see that on the streets here in the US. I'm enjoying your blog! Keep it up!
    XOXO
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete