Tuesday, February 22, 2011

heeeelllo MOTO

So...
For those of you who didn't know Paraguay is the 2nd poorest country in South America...sad but true. With that being said, obviously there aren't as many modes of transportation as there are in the US. Here, you can risk your ^belongings OR sometimes your *life lol by taking a "cole" or bus. (Side notes: ^Theft risk high because the biggest crime in PY is pick-pocketing and it happens the most on buses...*Life risk because the bus drivers not only receive AND give change while driving a massive stick-shift machine, they also drink Teree' as if after a crash the medical examiner can say.."Well at least the bus driver wasn't thirsty.") The "chu-chi" or well-off people usually have cars, so the cheapest way to get around here is...you guessed it MOTORCYCLES. Now at first, the idea of riding on my own moto seemed very dreamy, I'll admit it. However, the Peace Corps will not allow it and if caught you're sent packing, no joke. This of course lowers one's interest drastically, but if not completely, I'd like to share a few observations I've made to convince myself (and hopefully a few others) that although Motos are VERY Paraguayan, they are not as secure as one would think.
Observation #1: Nobody wears a helmet unless in Asuncion (but only because it's worse than NY madness in the city)
Observation #2: Anybody can buy one, you don't really need ID here because the laws aren't enforced (Aubrey could buy one, no problem....forreals)
Observation #3: There are no stop, caution, or speed bump signs and speed limits only exist on the "rutas" or main highways (folks in the neighborhoods: hide your kids, hide your wife)
Observation #4: The people themselves: I've seen 8 year olds ridin solo; I've seen 8 people sharing a Moto (ok not really lol, the most I've seen is 5 though. Yep, 5. A 2 year old, like 4 year old, two grown women AND a man was driving); I've seen 2 parents with a sleeping kid dangling in between; I've seen a family of 3, mom craddling baby (this one always makes me cringe); I've seen 2 parents with the mom breastfeeding the baby (ok not really, but would you really be shocked? Lol I wouldn't); I've seen a parent (or sometimes 2) with the kid riding in front; I've seen 2 girlfriends riding together; I've seen 2 homeboys riding together, (this is actually the most common I've seen. No big deal here, but in the US..who knows?); I've seen 2 girlfriends riding together, the second not holding on and texting; I've seen 2 homeboys, the second pouring a little Teree' and passing it up to his buddy; I've seen an obese woman with her child holding on (or trying to) for dear life behind her; I've also seen a guy pick his nose with one hand while steering his Moto with the other..... And you would think the "tormentas" or thunderstorms would slow a person down right? WRONG. People drive in the rain, thunder, and lightning here like it's regular day. I asked my host mom why this was and her response was: "Because it's so much cooler". I've seen a guy driving in the rain and talking on his cell phone; I've seen the driver wearing a helmet and his passenger not (ok so make sure you're good, but don't give the memo to your amigo? Nice.); I've seen a guy in the back wearing a helmet, but the driver not (this one baffles me, the passenger is smarter than the driver, yet who would probably die first? lol); And my personal favorite, when passing by a church I've seen people "cross" themselves. Yes, risk your life more by taking your hands off the wheel to ask for more protection, brillant.
Now would anyone like to solve the puzzle as to what the #1 cause of death is in Paraguay? Hmmm....I wonder why lol

No comments:

Post a Comment