Saturday, February 12, 2011

Negregito

2-12-2011
Negregito's Usual Spot
So for those of you unaware, in Paraguay I am considered a vegetarian because I don´t eat red meat. So far, I haven´t had anything that I don´t like and-or refused to eat. My host mom is soooo nice and a really good cook. Usually she makes me a ensalada (salad) with some kind of main dish to go with it like papas (potatoes) or soja (soy) empanadas or vorivori´- a dumpling like soup my fav! Anyways, keep this in mind.....also in our patio-aka backyard the pet bird is kept and his name is ¨Negregito¨. For some strange reason, and I do plan to ask one day lol, my host mom moves Negregito and his cage a LOT. Sometimes he is in the tree, sometimes near the outdoor firepit- used for burning trash, and another time somewhere else. Well, one day I came home from school on my lunch break, went outside to the patio and didn´t see Negregito anywhere...which I thought was even stranger. I thought..where could a caged bird possibly be put inside our house without me seeing-knowing it! So....for lunch this very same day I am given my usual salad and main dish, this day it was rice on veggies in a soup like sauce with wait for it......pollo (chicken) resembling a small bird. Of course I immediately thought, "OMG I´m eating the family pet this is wrong, this is cruel, and this may be a cause for reason to leave Paraguay on the very next flight". BUT, I didn´t panic lol I actually forced myself to eat some of it so that my host mom wouldn´t look at me funny and want to know why I didn´t finish my ¨chicken¨. My Spanish is mediocre and the thought of having to explain why I didn´t like my comida (food) would have been awkward for the both of us. In the process of figuring out what to do, I quietly excused myself after the meal and returned outside to think and guess who was there to greet me *aside from relief that is* lol NEGREGITO
Negregito's Yardwork Spot
Negregito's Rainy Day Spot

No comments:

Post a Comment