Saturday, February 12, 2011

Eat. Pray. LEARN.

2-12-2011
Everyday is a headache...but in a good way. At the end of each day I am tired both mentally and physically but that´s how I know I am doing something right. It´s only been a week and I don´t even need my dictionary at the lunch or dinner table anymore. I´ve discovered that the way I think in my head doesn´t always have to be spoken exactly the same way in Spanish. And if I don´t know a specific word, I´m able to describe the color or the usage or the location to the person I´m talking to and get them to say it for me, thus learning the new word and practicing my Spanish at the same time. If I haven´t said it before, I´ll say it again the language of Spanish sounds so beautiful to me...now I understand why it´s considered a love language. I´ve also discovered about myself how much I truly love learning since I´ve been here. It´s almost more like a thirst, I always want to know something new AND remember it and I love it! Anyways, so one thing that does annoy me is I brought a lot of shirts, dresses, and shorts but I´m not allowed to wear them in school because they are very conservative here. So, I told my host mom I needed some more skirts and she took me to buy tela-fabric and see a modista-seamstress. I got 3 dresses and 3 skirts made for about $6 each and they turned out nicely...so nicely in fact that 3 other volunteers in my school asked me where I got them from, and when I told them I had them made they instantly wanted in on the modista club lol. My modista ¨Norma¨ is soooo azucarado- sugary sweet lol or muy muy amable- super nice and I want to keep buying fabric for her to make me clothes just for this reason! BTW- I had the grand idea to make sweet empañadas...which I made the mistake of assuming exisits in most if not all Spanish speaking countries, but apparently not. I am going to get my host mom to help me. We are going to use her same exact recipe, just change what goes in the middle....pretty brilliant idea right I know! Lol.

compliments of Norma :)

No comments:

Post a Comment