Friday, April 6, 2012

On The Map



Perhaps other volunteers would disagree, but becoming familiar with the country in which I'm living seemed like only common sense to me. I decided not long before I arrived to learn as much about the lugar (place) as possible. Being that Peace Corps is such a closely knitted organization within an even smaller country as Paraguay, so site-seeing isn't all that difficult. Imagine having family in every state in the U.S. only not so spread out, it's kinda like that. Volunteers keep in touch with each other for the most part, and thus receive a lot of visitors. As far as I can tell, many of them don't mind the occasional drop-in. Lol kidding! But seriously sometimes it does happen, yet por suerte (luckily) most are pretty understanding, tranquilo (calm/chill) about it. (Unfortunately, I can attest to this given my track record for poor sense of direction, ehem.) The point is, you embrace the guests because you never know when that tricky bus schedule will leave you stranded (or worse), so it's only polite to return the favor, verdad (right)? I'm listing below the cities of which I've ventured into and was graciously welcomed. In addition, as an offer of thanks, the residing volunteers and locals should know (if they didn't already) that they can swing by Long Island anytime! :)

-Guarambare (home of my training community and host mother Rosa)
-Fernando de La Mora (site of a G-32 volunteer where I took my first trip solita (all alone :/)
-San Lorenzo (location of Super Selemma, a very large and famous Super)
-Caacupe (home of my LFP family, the carpenters)
-Yegros (site of a fellow G-35 volunteer and my closest volunteer neighbor)
-Santa Elena (former site of a G-31 volunteer; is somewhat campo or country)
-Caraguatay (nearby city relative to Isla; home of one of the PCV Radio programs)
-Capiata (the city of myths)
-Aregua (home of the Strawberry Festival; where I participated in Habitat for Humanity)
-Quindy (site of a fellow G-35 volunteer; the city of soccer balls)
-Paraguari (home of Mbatovi the zip-lining place)
-Pilar (the city of cotton)
-Itacurubi (site of a fellow G-35 volunteer; has small beach called San Andres)
-Villeta (site of a fellow G-35 volunteer; known for its industrialization and proximity to Argentina)
Katie, Rose and I at Salto Cristal
-Encarnacion (site of a fellow G-35 volunteer; known for PY Carnaval;)
 -La Colmena (home of Salto Cristal, the famous small waterfall)
-Coronel Olviedo (college home of my host sister Paola)
-Ciudad del Este (home of the Itaipu Dam the world's second largest hydroelectric plant)
-Trinidad del Parana (home of the Jesuit Ruins)
-Villa Rica (site of a fellow G-35 volunteer; home of the carpinchos)


part of the Jesuit Ruins
statue in Carpincho Park, Villa Rica
Itapu Dam at night :)


No comments:

Post a Comment