Saturday, April 7, 2012

Che Michimi Guarani (My Little Guarani)

These are words/phrases I learned in language class, but mostly in the schools from kids and from being around my host family so much. I highly doubt I will ever be fluent, but when I use a word or two that I know while conversing with a Paraguayan it tickles them pink, everytime. Lol. True, it's technically a lost language as it's only spoken here and not anywhere else in the world. Also, many foreigners find it difficult to learn/speak (imagine Japanese and French sounds having a baby and you'd get Guarani), but it's a part of the Paraguayan culture and history which is why it's engraved within the education system here and gains a person lots of respect for trying especially if it's not his/her first language. I think it's kinda cool that even though I don't speak the language really, sometimes I can still figure out what someone is saying from the context. And who knows, maybe one day I will hear Guarani being spoken in the U.S. or elsewhere and immediately recognize it. I guess until then I'd better practice what I know and keep learning, huh? Will do :)

-M'baeichapa (Coma estas?; How are you?)
-M'bae? (Que?; What?)
-che (yo; me)
-nde (vos; you)
-ha'e (el/ella; him/her)
-E'a! (No me digas!; No way!)
-Piko? (En serio?; Really?)
-vai-vai (asi-asi; so-so)
-Heterei (Que rico!; How delicious!)
-guazu (grande; big)
-pucu (largo; long)
-po (5)
-pa (10)
-petei (1)
-moko`i (2)
-che memby (mi hijo/hija; my child)
-wakala (asco; gross)
-jaha (vamos; let's go)
-jagua (perro; dog)
-ahendu (escuchar; to listen)
-ahecha (ver; to see)
-"i"(mas chico; makes the word smaller i.e. "jagua'i"=little dog)
-Kuratu (Cilantro)
-Che cherera ___________ (Me llamo es; My name is)
-quesu (queso; cheese)
-sapatu (zapato; shoe)
-opa (termino, fin; done, end)
A "tata kua" or brick oven
-tembi'u (comida; food)
-nahaniri (No)
-sipa? (Si?; Yes?)-this is actually Jopara (a mix) of Spanish and Guarani
-dale na (c'mon)-also Jopara
-ndaikuai (No se; I don't know)
-oima (dale; ok)
-tata (fuego; fire)
-ma'ena (chulina; cute, adorable)
-tata kua (brick oven)
-oi pora (esta bien; it's ok)
-ikatu (puedo; I may or might)
-terere rupa (merienda;snack)
-hake (cuidado; careful)
-hake chake (super cuidado; be extra careful)
-re (muy; very)
-ñande (nuestro; our)
-jacare (caimán;alligator)
-hai kue (Que mucho!; Wow!)
-Mba'e rejapo? (Que haces? What are you doing?)
-Rohechaga'u (Te extraño; I miss you)

No comments:

Post a Comment