Thursday, March 10, 2011

Gestos

Just like all other countries, Paraguayans have their own special "gestos" or gestures. Minus the ones that my host mom uses with me to communicate....despite my complete understanding of her words, there are quite a few special to only Paraguay. For example, you know how we use filler words while listening, such as: "yeah", "uh-huh", or "right"? Well instead of using words, Paraguayans usually grunt at you. When I received my first PY grunt I was confused, I thought: "Was that her stomach or mine?" Then I was taken aback and thought: "I may have offended you with my poor Spanish but hey that's no reason to get loud and rude." Now I know better, note to self: PARAGUAYANS GRUNT ON PURPOSE! Lol. Now most of the gestures I've seen are pretty universal: thumbs up, thumbs down, middle finger (yep, lol), money rub BUT the Top 10 most unique and entertaining Paraguayan gestos I've seen are as follows:

-"I dream of Genie" Double Blink translation "I'm broke, friend"
-Simple wink translation "We're dating" (NOT that we share a secret or understand one another lol)
-Nose Wrinkle translation "Something is up"
-Chin Chop translation "I've had it"
-Bull horns translation "You're spouse gets around"
-Engine Rev translation "Time for some action" (usually NOT referring to the actual riding of a moto here lol)
-Hand Rake translation "Come on over"
-Hand Slice translation "You're in trouble" (literally or jokingly)
-Shoulder Salute translation "Step off, sir"
-Palm/Elbow Smack Down translation "You're a cheapskate"

No comments:

Post a Comment