Thursday, May 5, 2011

Guarambarepe'

4/9/2011

Rose, Rosa (host mom), myself & our cake

Flowers in my backyard












My last week in Guarambare I had mixed emotions.    I was excited to begin my new adventure as a volunteer in Isla Pucu and no longer be a trainee, yet I was sad to leave behind friends, teachers, and others who grew to care about me. For those who know me best, sometimes I have trouble putting my feelings into words, but I found this time to be an exception. While on an afternoon camanita (little walk) with Rose is when I first realized I felt this way. We were passing Don Alfredo, one of my friendly neighbors from across the street whom I came to know by his ambition to teach me some Guarani. “Hola Don Alfredo” I said. “Hola, de donde van?” (Where are you all going?) he asked. “ Vamos a un caminata, no mas”, (We’re only going on a little walk) I responded. Don Alfredo let out his jolly, booming laugh then pointed at Rose replying “Ah, porque ella es gorda, verdad?” (Oh, because she is fat, right?) ….Ok so a horrible start to my list of things I shall miss, I KNOW. Believe me I was equally as baffled as Rose because Don Alfredo himself is at least 12 months pregnant. “Why don’t you come along with us?” I wanted to ask lol, but I held my tongue. And most unfortunately for poor Rose she had to face this encounter many a time with her own host family, as well as, a few neighbors (she even told a lady off because she was so fed up once!) So to end things on such a sour note with Don Alfredo was most inopportune. In Rose’s defense though she is NOT fat by any means, her hips don’t lie that’s all :), and here curves aren’t as appreciated :/. In mention of my dear friend, I shall definitely miss her. Rose’s site is in a city called Pilar. I’ve heard it’s gorgeous and right on the border, take a ferry ride and you’re in Argentina…but it’s about 5 hours away from Isla Pucu. No longer will we be able to walk a block and hang out at my house, go get ice cream, or hit the Supermercado (grocery store) to buy ingredients for a homemade dish later. I’ll miss our post-class popcorn sessions, laughing together with/about our crazy host families, and of course receiving delicious free queso from the fabrica (factory; conveniently also were Rose lived). Speaking of host families, I shall miss my host mom and brother. My host brother was very shy at first, but he eventually came out of his shell some. Likewise, he was kind enough to allow me to use his laptop to Skype my family in the U.S. every Sunday. My host mother was very caring and knowledgeable. She could be a little pushy at times lol, but all in all she was very nice (she allowed me to hang a hammock in my room people!) I enjoyed joking with her most and savoring her creative vegetarian dishes. I will also miss our beautiful backyard overflowing with flowers and fruit trees with perfect view of the cancha (soccer field) on the other side (there were soccer games every SundayJ). Our language teachers Pabla, Silvia, and Patricia I will miss as well.  Not only were they amazing Spanish/Guarani teachers, they are also very kind, supportive, and loving people. I dreaded waking up so early, but I fell in love with their classes. If Peace Corps would allow me to pack one of them along in one of my suitcases, I would do it! And who could forget my favorite ice cream place, “Franshop”? I do believe they have the best dulce de leche (caramel) in PY! I was a weekly regular and each time the owner was so patient with my indecisiveness in regards to flavor selection. SIDE NOTE: I have a hard time making small decisions sometimes lol. A couple of times he even gave me a discount! I will miss all the animals that greeted us along the way to school each morning….goats, dogs, chickens, etc.  Specifically, I will miss the huge black/white dog that lived directly across the street from me. When I was bored, it was a very entertaining sight from my bedroom window watching it exercise back and forth outside its house. Near my house as well, I will miss my other neighbor Cristina who very much looked forward to chatting with me as did with her, along with her warm laughter. Furthermore, I will miss “Zoe Boutique” where I found a few much needed (stylish) warm clothes not too ridiculously priced. The young duena (owner) was also very kind (and patient) with me. I will miss the mini park in front of the Catholic igelsia (church) where it was so relaxing to sit to people watch during the day and enjoy the fountain at night. Lastly, I can’t say I’ll miss training itself exactly lol, but I will miss our trainers at the Peace Corps Centro (center) and catching up with my colleagues during our daily lunch gatherings. Guarambare was the first town to welcome us newbies of G-35 into Paraguay with open arms and for that it will forever hold a special place in my heart!
Best ice cream in Guarambare!


Friendly baby goat :)

Welcome sign at Centro

I knew it! My food schedule lol




1 comment: