Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Great Debate

Unlike American culture, MOST of the people of Paraguay are VERY blunt. If someone thinks you're fat, ugly, have an unusual eye shape, or whatever- they say something about it. (Side note- I  do find it comical that MANY Paraguayan men have unibrows  but I have yet to meet someone with such a nickname, despite it's palpability lol) It's also very common for these comments to become your potential nickname. For example, I got into this rough conversation with my host brother about this part of Paraguayan culture and how it's very hard for Americans to hear/accept because we find  it very offensive. I asked him if Paraguayans ever got offended and he said no and even used himself as an example..."They call me hairy boy for a reason" he said as he proceeded to lift up his shirt to caress his bear chest. OK. The point is NOT whether or not these comments are true, the point is it's not always necessary or very nice to point out a person's flaws. I also found out that some Paraguayans are straight up cruel and make comments saying they DO like something... "You look pretty today" or "I like your nails" when they are really poking fun. My host mom isn't the type to point out my flaws per say but she is quick to pull at the sides of her eyes when referring to an Asian volunteer or stretch her arms out wide when an overweight person is nearby. I also made the mistake of asking her if/where I could get my eyebrows done in Guaramabare and ever since she gave me directions, she's been asking when I'm going to go. THANKS. Somedays she tells me I look pretty and I just stare at her because I can't tell if she's going to laugh afterwards if she sees I took her seriously. I simply shake my head. What could I  possibly say to someone who has been taught that it's culturally acceptable to make these sort of comments and gestures? Exactly, NADA. And I dread the day that someone makes a comment about my weight especially. I know I will probably lose it, but funny thing is when I'm angry I speak better Spanish so I doubt I would have trouble communicating my true feelings lol....I think weight in general is a very sensitive subject for women period, I don't care what culture. Let's all just hope that my future nickname is a pleasant one or maybe I should make up my own and spread it around before anyone else gets the chance to make one up for me? Sorry to disappoint but "Brown girl" isn't gonna cut it, friends. AND I don't think I will gain much weight while I'm here since I've already lost 5 lbs, but if I become known as a little "gordita" (fatty) someone is gonna get hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment